Next Available Class
Obtain a solid understanding of embedded development using the Yocto Project, including the Poky Reference Distribution and Bitbake, the use of emulators, building images for multiple architectures and the creation of board support packages (BSP).
Experience the Course
Embedded Linux Development with Yocto Project focuses on the open source collaboration effort that provides templates, tools and methods to help you create and maintain custom Linux-based systems for embedded products regardless of the specific hardware architecture. The Poky Reference Distribution, one of its important components, is a derivative of (and is compatible with) the OpenEmbedded Build System.
This course is designed to jump-start embedded development projects using the Yocto Project and to give software engineers a solid understanding of the build process from compilation, and over packaging to creating a bootable image. During four days, participants will have extensive hands-on experience with practical exercises using emulators as well as actual hardware. Upon mastering you will have a solid understanding of:
- The Poky and Bitbake build process, with its recipes and layers to customize Linux kernel and packages for a custom embedded application
- Building Linux
- The use of emulators for verification
- The creation of board support packages (BSP) for target hardware
Students are expected to provide their own computers for the class.
Why Choose Linux Foundation Training
There are many reasons to choose Linux Foundation Training:
- The Linux Foundation is the non-profit organization that hosts the Linux project, employs Linux creator Linus Torvalds and hosts kernel.org (where all Linux kernel updates are released). With 100+ employees (and growing!) across North America, Europe and Asia, we partner with clients for the long run.
- Being so close to the kernel, we are constantly updating our training to ensure that we are teaching you the most up-to-date information.
- Linux Foundation Training is unique in that all our training courses are designed to work on all major Linux distributions (including RedHat, Ubuntu and SUSE).
- We don't sell any software or support services so there's no hidden sales agenda in our material. Our only goal is to help you learn the material.
- When you train with The Linux Foundation, you're learning from instructors who are comfortable across all major Linux distributions and can answer student questions regardless of the distribution you're using for the class. You are truly learning from the experts.
As part of your registration, a printed copy of the course manual will be course manual will be provided. If you are attending in person the material will be available onsite on the day the class begins. If you are attending virtually it will be mailed to you the week prior to the class. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you haven't received it 2 business days prior to the start of class.
For more details view the Course Outline.
This course is primarily intended for experienced software engineers who are interested in learning the fundamentals of a build system for embedded Linux. The purpose of the course is to shorten the learning curve by providing a guided tour combining lecture and practical exercises of building and customizing embedded Linux systems.
- Be familiar with basic Linux (UNIX) utilities such as ls, grep and tar.
- Be comfortable using any of the available text editors (e.g. emacs, vi, etc.).
- Knowledge of the Python scripting language is beneficial but not strictly required.
- Experience with any major Linux distribution is helpful but not strictly required.
If you have a basic understanding of the top-level principles of cross development, where a host system is used to develop and compile software that runs on a different target system, it would be helpful.
The course will survey the wide range of CPUs supported by the Linux
Ways To Train
Event Type: Training Course
Classroom Linux Training [?]
- Delivered in conveniently located training centers
- Please check schedule for exact location and duration
On-Site Corporate Linux Training [?]
- All courses can be delivered at your office for private, on-site training
- Contact us for more information
Custom Corporate Linux Training [?]
- All courses can be customized for private, on-site training
- Contact us for more information