2 Days - $1200
No open enrollment classes scheduled at this time.
Learn the fundamental concepts behind the Git version control system. Practice how to create, manipulate and share Git repositories with hands-on lab exercises.
Developing with Git introduces the distributed development version control system that originated with the Linux kernel development community and is now used on an ever increasing number of projects. Students will rapidly come up to speed on Git concepts, basic commands, and how it is used in everyday work.
Upon mastering the material you will have a basic understanding of:
- How Git compares with other revision control systems and what concepts need to be grasped when using Git.
- Methods of creating new repositories or cloning already existing ones.
- How to commit new changes, review revision histories, and examine differences with older versions.
- How to work with different branches, merge repositories and work with a distributed development team.
Extensive hands-on exercises and demonstrations are designed to give you the necessary tools to use the essential features of Git.
Why Choose Linux Foundation Training
There are many reasons to choose Linux Foundation Training:
- The Linux Foundation is the non-profit organization that hosts the Linux project, employs Linux creator Linus Torvalds and hosts kernel.org (where all Linux kernel updates are released). With 100+ employees (and growing!) across North America, Europe and Asia, we partner with clients for the long run.
- Being so close to the kernel, we are constantly updating our training to ensure that we are teaching you the most up-to-date information.
- Linux Foundation Training is unique in that all our training courses are designed to work on all major Linux distributions (including RedHat, Ubuntu and SUSE).
- We don't sell any software or support services so there's no hidden sales agenda in our material. Our only goal is to help you learn the material.
- When you train with The Linux Foundation, you're learning from instructors who are comfortable across all major Linux distributions and can answer student questions regardless of the distribution you're using for the class. You are truly learning from the experts.
As part of your registration, a printed copy of the course manual will be course manual will be provided. If you are attending in person the material will be available onsite on the day the class begins. If you are attending virtually it will be mailed to you the week prior to the class. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you haven't received it 2 business days prior to the start of class.
For more details view the Course Outline.
The class is designed for developers who are familiar with Linux, but are new to Git. You'll need superuser privileges only to install Git on your system if it is not already installed.
Students on non-Linux systems can also take this course as long as Git can be installed on their system; e.g., versions for Windows can be installed at no cost and work well. While this is discussed in class, installing previous to class is advised to save time.
- Be familiar with basic Linux (UNIX) utilities, such as ls, rm, grep, tar etc.
- Be comfortable using any of the available text editors (e.g. emacs, vi).
- Experience with any major Linux distribution is helpful but not strictly required, and as noted earlier, this course can be taken on any operating system that can have git installed.
Ways To Train
Event Type: Training Course
Classroom Linux Training [?]
- Delivered in conveniently located training centers
- Please check schedule for exact location and duration
Online Linux Training [?]
- Live instructor-led sessions
- Presented via screensharing and a conference call line
- Typically run 9am-5pm US Central unless otherwise stated
On-Site Corporate Linux Training [?]
- All courses can be delivered at your office for private, on-site training
- Contact us for more information
Custom Corporate Linux Training [?]
- All courses can be customized for private, on-site training
- Contact us for more information