Learn the methods and internal infrastructure of the Linux kernel. This course focuses on the important tools used for debugging and monitoring the kernel, and how security features are implemented and controlled.
GET A FREE CHROMEBOOK
This course is eligible for our free Chromebook promotion
A free Dell Chromebook 11 is included with the purchase of any instructor-led Linux Foundation Training course running between now and December 31, 2018.Learn More
This course is for those interested in learning how to write Linux kernel code and understand security aspects of the Linux kernel.
Knowledge of basic kernel interfaces and methods such as how to write, compile, load and unload modules, use synchronization primitives, and the basics of memory allocation and management, such as is provided by LFD420. Pre-class preparation material will be provided before class, an outline of which is provided here.
As part of your registration, a printed copy of the course manual will be provided.
- Be proficient in the C programming language.
- Be familiar with basic Linux (UNIX) utilities such as ls, grep and tar.
- Be comfortable using any of the available text editors (e.g. emacs, vi, etc.).
- Experience with any major Linux distribution is helpful but not strictly required.
- Have experience equivalent to having taken LFD420, the kernel internals course.
This course provides experienced programmers with a solid understanding of Linux kernel. debugging techniques and tools. This four day course includes extensive hands-on exercises and demonstrations designed to give you the necessary tools to develop and debug Linux kernel code.
Why Train With The Linux Foundation
The Linux Foundation is the go-to source for training on virtually every aspect of Linux and many other open source technologies. Here are a few things that make us the right choice to be your training partner:
- We are the non-profit organization that hosts Linux and many other open source projects, employs Linux creator Linus Torvalds and hosts kernel.org (where all Linux kernel updates are released).
- Being so close to the kernel, we are constantly updating our training to ensure that we are teaching you the most up-to-date information. Linux Foundation Training is unique in that all our training courses are designed to work on all major Linux distributions (including RedHat, Ubuntu and SUSE).
- We don't sell any software or support services so there's no hidden sales agenda in our material. Our only goal is to help you learn the material.
- When you train with The Linux Foundation, you're learning from instructors who are comfortable across all major Linux distributions and can answer student questions regardless of the distribution you're using for the class. You are truly learning from the experts.
Our Training Options
All our instructor-led courses can be delivered at your office for private, on-site training. Contact us for more information.Get a Corporate Training Quote
These live, instructor-led sessions are delivered over screenshare with phone audio, if needed. Classes typically run from 9am-5pm US Central unless otherwise stated.
Our classroom courses are delivered in conveniently located training centers by an expert instructor. Please check the specific course date for exact location, duration, and start time.
Other courses you may be interested in
Introduction to Linux, Open Source Development, and GIT
Linux Kernel Internals and Development