The course provides a multidisciplinary overview of best practices in Open Source Software Management. It’s multi-disciplinary because in most environments managing the use of Open Source Software well requires the participation of business executives, the legal team, software architecture, software development, software maintenance and product management. In fact, one of the most significant challenges in Open Source Management is integrating all of these functions with their very different points of view into a coherent (and efficient) set of practices. The course is explicitly designed to help individuals in each role understand the key aspects of the other roles.
This course has been designed for anyone concerned with and involved in Open Source Management, including operational and legal executives, software development managers, open source program managers, software architects, developers and maintainers and product managers of open source products or proprietary products containing significant open source. We have made every effort to present the concepts at a level that is accessible and relevant for all of these participants.
The course is organized around the key phases of developing a Professional Open Source Management program:
- Open Source Software and Open Source Management Basics
- Open Source Management Strategy
- Open Source Policy
- Open Source Processes
- Open Source Management Program Implementation.
Why Train With The Linux Foundation
The Linux Foundation is the go-to source for training on virtually every aspect of Linux and many other open source technologies. Here are a few things that make us the right choice to be your training partner:
- We are the non-profit organization that hosts Linux and many other open source projects, employs Linux creator Linus Torvalds and hosts kernel.org (where all Linux kernel updates are released).
- Being so close to the kernel, we are constantly updating our training to ensure that we are teaching you the most up-to-date information. Linux Foundation Training is unique in that all our training courses are designed to work on all major Linux distributions (including RedHat, Ubuntu and SUSE).
- We don't sell any software or support services so there's no hidden sales agenda in our material. Our only goal is to help you learn the material.
- When you train with The Linux Foundation, you're learning from instructors who are comfortable across all major Linux distributions and can answer student questions regardless of the distribution you're using for the class. You are truly learning from the experts.
Our Training Options
All our instructor-led courses can be delivered at your office for private, on-site training. Contact us for more information.Get a Corporate Training Quote
These live, instructor-led sessions are delivered over screenshare with phone audio, if needed. Classes typically run from 9am-5pm US Central unless otherwise stated.
Our classroom courses are delivered in conveniently located training centers by an expert instructor. Please check the specific course date for exact location, duration, and start time.