The FinOps certification is ideal for individuals who want to validate and showcase their cloud financial management and cost optimization skills regardless of the cloud platform they use.
FinOps Certified Practitioner (FOCP)
A FinOps Certified Practitioner will bring a strong understanding of FinOps, its Principles, Capabilities and how to support and manage the FinOps Lifecycle to manage cost and usage of Cloud in your organization.
This exam is currently only offered as a certification after the FinOps Foundation Practitioner Certification workshop either in person or virtually. Opportunities to take one of these workshops can be found at finops.org/events
Domains & Competencies
The FOCP exam includes these general domains and competencies :
- Challenge of Cloud – 8%
- What is FinOps & FinOps Principles – 12%
- FinOps Teams & Motivation – 12%
- FinOps Capabilities – 28%
- FinOps Lifecycle – 30%
- Terminology & the Cloud Bill – 10%
Challenge of Cloud – 8%
- Understand the challenges of working with Cloud
- Recognize the differences between Cloud and Traditional IT
What is FinOps & FinOps Principles – 12%
- Define FinOps
- Understand each of the FinOps Principles
FinOps Teams & Motivation – 12%
- Describe the skills, roles and responsibilities of a FinOps Team
- Describe where a FinOps team would be situated
- Understand what drives a FinOps team’s size, position and makeup
FinOps Capabilities – 28%
- Understand the six pillars of FinOps Capabilities
- Describe the activities associated with each capability
FinOps Lifecycle – 30%
- Describe the FinOps lifecycle, its phases and purpose
- Understand the basic processes that FinOps teams enact in the FinOps Lifecycle
Terminology & the Cloud Bill – 10%
- Understand basic cloud, FinOps, DevOps & Finance terminology
- Describe the characteristics of the Cloud Bills
This is an online non-proctored exam that can take up to 60 minutes to complete.
It includes 50 multiple choice questions, some with multiple selections as indicated in the question text.
It will test your foundational knowledge of FinOps and its practice.
Policies & Resources
Please review the Linux Foundation Global Agreement and resource details below.
- Linux Foundation Global Certification & Confidentiality Agreement
- Candidate Handbook provided during the the FinOps Foundation Practitioner Certification Workshop
- Exam Tips provided during the FinOps Foundation Practitioner Certification Workshop
- Notes and workbook provided during the FinOps Foundation Practitioner Certification Workshop.
At a Glance
Duration of Exam
- 12 Month Exam Eligibility
- Free Exam Retake
- PDF Certificate and Digital Badge