Linux powers 94% of the world’s supercomputers, most of the servers powering the Internet, the majority of financial trades worldwide and a billion Android devices. In short, Linux is everywhere. It appears in many different architectures, from mainframes to server to desktop to mobile and on a staggeringly wide variety of hardware. This free self-paced course will teach you how to develop a good working knowledge of Linux using both the graphical interface and command line.
This class is designed for people who have little or no prior experience with Linux or Unix. System administrators, developers, architects, decision makers or new Linux users can all benefit from the content covered in this class, especially if they are looking to work with more involved topics such as Linux system administration, network management and enterprise system architecture.
This course is:
- 100% online and self-paced
- 40-50 hours of content designed by our Linux experts
- Designed to give students a good working knowledge of Linux
- Absolutely free via edx.org
Created in partnership with edX.org, this 100% online, self-paced course will explore the various tools and techniques commonly used by Linux system administrators and end users to achieve their day-to-day work in a Linux environment.
Upon completion of this training you should have a good working knowledge of Linux, from both a graphical and command line perspective, allowing you to easily navigate through any of the major Linux distributions. You will be able to continue your progress as either a user, system administrator or developer using the acquired skill set.
What you'll learn:
- A good working knowledge of Linux
- How to navigate through major Linux distributions
- System configurations and graphical interface of Linux
- Basic command line operations
- Common applications of Linux
Join the 400,000+ students who are already enrolled in this course and start your Linux journey.
LOOKING FOR AN INSTRUCTOR-LED COURSE ON THIS TOPIC?
We offer a similar instructor-led course called LFS102 - Fundamentals of Linux.Go To LFS102
Why Train With The Linux Foundation
The Linux Foundation is the go-to source for training on virtually every aspect of Linux and many other open source technologies. Here are a few things that make us the right choice to be your training partner:
- We are the non-profit organization that hosts Linux and many other open source projects, employs Linux creator Linus Torvalds and hosts kernel.org (where all Linux kernel updates are released).
- Being so close to the kernel, we are constantly updating our training to ensure that we are teaching you the most up-to-date information. Linux Foundation Training is unique in that all our training courses are designed to work on all major Linux distributions (including RedHat, Ubuntu and SUSE).
- We don't sell any software or support services so there's no hidden sales agenda in our material. Our only goal is to help you learn the material.
- When you train with The Linux Foundation, you're learning from instructors who are comfortable across all major Linux distributions and can answer student questions regardless of the distribution you're using for the class. You are truly learning from the experts.
Our Training Options
All our instructor-led courses can be delivered at your office for private, on-site training. Contact us for more information.Get a Corporate Training Quote
These live, instructor-led sessions are delivered over screenshare with phone audio, if needed. Classes typically run from 9am-5pm US Central unless otherwise stated.
Our classroom courses are delivered in conveniently located training centers by an expert instructor. Please check the specific course date for exact location, duration, and start time.
Other courses you may be interested in
Essentials of System Administration
Linux System Administration
Essentials of OpenStack Administration