2020 Open Source Jobs Report
Developed in partnership with edX, we share the latest trends in open source careers, which skills are in demand, what motivates open source job seekers, how employers can attract and retain top talent, and the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on hiring trends.
Key findings from the 2020 Open Source Jobs Report include:
- Hiring is down, but not out, due to COVID-19: Despite the pandemic and economic slowdown, 37% of hiring managers say they will be hiring more skilled IT professionals in the next six months.
- Online training gains popularity during the COVID-19 era: A full 80% of employers now report that they provide online training courses for employees to learn open-source software, up from 66% two years ago.
- Certifications grow in importance: 52% of hiring managers are more likely to hire someone with a certification, up from 47% two years ago.
- Qualified open source talent is still in short supply: 93% of hiring managers report difficulty finding sufficient talent with open source skills, up from 87% two years ago.
- DevOps’ rise: DevOps pros have risen to the most sought after job role, with 65% of companies looking to hire more DevOps talent, up from 59% in 2018.
- Cloud technology is hot: In terms of knowledge domains, hiring managers report knowledge of open cloud technologies has the most significant impact, with 70% being more likely to hire a pro with these skills, up from 66% in 2018.
Share your learnings and comments on the Open Source Jobs Report by using the hashtag #OSSJobs.