2021 Open Source Jobs Report
Developed in partnership with edX and Linux Foundation Research, our 9th annual report reveals the latest trends in open source careers, which skills are in demand, what motivates open source professionals, how employers can attract and retain top talent, how the COVID-19 pandemic impacted hiring and workplaces, and diversity issues in the industry.
Key findings from the 2021 Open Source Jobs Report include:
- Qualified open source talent is still in short supply: Overwhelming numbers of hiring managers (92%) report difficulty finding sufficient talent with open source skills. Half of companies are accelerating open source hiring, further exacerbating the talent gap.
- Cloud’s rise: Cloud and container technology skills are most in demand by hiring managers, surpassing Linux for the first time in the history of this report, with 46% of hiring managers seeking cloud talent.
- Discrimination is a growing concern in the community: The number of open source professionals reporting they have been discriminated against or made to feel unwelcome in the community increased to 18% in 2021 – representing a 125% increase over the past three years.
- DevOps becomes the standard method for developing software: Virtually all open source professionals (88%) report using DevOps practices in their work, a 50% increase from three years ago.
- Demand for certified talent spikes: Managers are prioritizing hires of certified talent (88%), with a similar percentage of managers willing to pay for employees to obtain certifications.
- Training is increasingly helping close skills gaps: Large numbers of professionals are demanding more training opportunities from their employers, demonstrated by 92% of managers reporting an increase in requests. Employers also report that they prioritize training investments to close skills gaps, with 58% using this tactic; by comparison, 29% bring in external consultants to close their skill gaps.
Share your learnings and comments on the Open Source Jobs Report by using the hashtag #OSSJobs.