In this course, you’ll obtain a solid understanding of how to build a repeatable embedded target Linux target using the Yocto Project. In addition to learning the build system, you will learn about more advanced tools like toaster, devtool, wic, eSDK, and eclipse IDE integration. This course builds on the Embedded Linux topics learned in the LFD450 class.
This course will teach you how to take advantage of the Yocto Project – the open source collaboration effort that provides templates, tools and methods to help you create and maintain custom Linux-based systems for embedded products regardless of the specific hardware architecture.
- How to use the Poky and Bitbake build process, with its recipes and layers to customize Linux kernel and packages for a custom embedded application
- How to build Linux on an embedded board
- How to use emulators for verification
- How to create board support packages (BSP) for target hardware
- And more.
The information in this course will work with any major Linux distribution.
- The Yocto Project and OpenEmbedded
- Poky and bitbake
- Setting up the Yocto Project Build System
- Building an x86 Emulation Image
- Troubleshooting Build Failures
- Basic Target Development Board Setup
- Booting the Target Development Board from uSD
- Booting a Target Development Board over Ethernet
- Board Support Packages
- Building a Yocto Project BSP
- Customizing Images
- Adding Packages
- Kernel Recipes
- Development Tools
- Software Development Toolkit(s)
- SDKs and Eclipse integration
- Licensing and Compliance
This course is primarily intended for experienced embedded linux engineers who are interested in learning how to repeatably build an embedded Linux system. This course assumes you have basic knowledge of Embedded linux systems such as building and install boot loaders, kernels and user space software (the kinds of things you learn in LFD450). You should also be familiar with building code from the command line, basic Linux utilities and text editors. Some experience with Python is helpful but not required.
At a Glance
- 4 days of Instructor-led class time
- Hands-on Labs & Assignments
- Resources & Course Manual
- Certificate of Completion
- Free Chromebook